I got a bit distracted from the laundry room plans last week, but I managed to get something sorted that I’ve been meaning to do for a long time…spruce up my ironing board!
I looked at a couple of tutorials online but it was pretty easy to make up as I went along. Firstly, I used the old cover as a template on some nice cotton from Ikea –
I turned part of an old curtain into a very long 3 inch wide strip, folded it in half and then sewed right round the edge of the new cover with the right sides together.
(The white stitching you can see here was part of the bottom hem of the curtain.) I then folded the binding in half again, and tucked some strong white cotton inside before sewing along the same line to enclose the cord. I stitched this bit down with a pretty narrow seam allowance so that it sat above the first stitching line and would be invisible.
After that it was just a case of putting it on the board and pulling on the cord. There was a slight accident where I yanked the cord a bit much and it snapped, I had to unpick some of the stitching to find the end again. But overall, success!
While I was working on this I managed to get a photo of our other rescue dog, LadyBug. She doesn’t appear in pictures much as she likes to shake about whenever a camera appears, so much so that it doesn’t even look like a dog in the resulting photos. LadyBug is a very old lady, she just turned 17. She’s deaf and almost completely blind now, but is very content pottering about the garden and snoozing with her tongue hanging out. On walks Penny acts as her guide dog to show her where all the good smells are, and they like to cuddle up together in front of the fire and at bedtime.